Airman Recalls River Rescue - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

Airman Recalls River Rescue

Posted: Updated:

Twenty-one-year-old Malmstrom airman Jake Bush took a CPR refresher course just hours before he had to perform it.

"They started screaming and that's when I looked over and really saw what was going on and started running," says Bush.

What he saw were two teenagers distressed in the water. He saw one man dive to try to save them.

"Then I saw all three of them were having a lot of trouble. So I ran down the side."

That's when Bush dove in.

"I brought the first girl up in there, there's a sand bar," says Bush. " I took her there and one of the ladies grabbed her."

Bush describes the scene as a whirlpool.

"Honestly, I didn't think I was going to make it with the last one. I didn't think there was any chance I was going to make it to shore."

His knowledge on river currents definitely helped out. When he reached shore, that's when he performed CPR on the man until emergency responders arrived.

Around the community, Bush is being called a hero for rescuing the three out of the river but he doesn't consider himself as one.

"No, anybody would have done it. I had to do it. It had to be done. I couldn't stand there."

Shortly after the interview, we learned that 22-year-old Ernest Gene Lamere of Great Falls, the male Bush performed CPR on, later died at the hospital.

His death has been ruled accidental. 

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Great Falls Animal Shelter Running Out of Space

    Great Falls Animal Shelter Running Out of Space

    The Great Falls Animal Shelter is running out of space to house animals.
    The Great Falls Animal Shelter is running out of space to house animals.
  • UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    Friday, August 29 2014 2:35 PM EDT2014-08-29 18:35:38 GMT
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire.
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire. The fire happened on August 24th, around 2:00pm in a restroom at the Boulder Beach Water park. The water park was evacuated while crews worked to put the flames out. 
  • High STD Rate in Cascade County

    High STD Rate in Cascade County

    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
Powered by WorldNow

Sports

  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.