RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - Colorado officials say the emergency response to the flood disaster is ending and the long and arduous task of recovery has begun.
    
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Wednesday that rescue workers are ending "high octane" search-and-rescue operations. Searchers are now going door-to-door and looking through debris piles and vehicles for victims and damage in the flood-scarred areas of the foothills.
    
Those crews include Federal Emergency Management Agency urban search-and-rescue teams with search dogs and medical supplies.
    
Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback of the Colorado National Guard says some of the helicopters flying rescue missions may be returned to Fort Carson.
    
As the airlifts taper off, so have the number of missing. State emergency officials say that number was just over 300 by Wednesday morning.
    
There have been six confirmed deaths.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LYONS, Colo. (AP) - As water recedes and flows east onto the Colorado plains rescuers are shifting their focus from emergency airlifts to trying to find the hundreds of people still unaccounted for after last week's devastating flooding.
    
Federal and state emergency officials said more than 3,000 people have been evacuated by air and ground, but calls for those emergency rescues have decreased.
    
The state's latest count has dropped to about 580 people missing, and the number continues to decrease as the stranded get in touch with families.
    
State officials reported six flood-related deaths, plus two women missing and presumed dead. The number was expected to increase. It could take weeks or even months to search through flooded areas looking for bodies.
    
State and local transportation officials are tallying the washed-out roads, collapsed bridges and twisted railroad lines.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Gun industry sees banks as new threat to 2nd Amendment

    Gun industry sees banks as new threat to 2nd Amendment

    Sunday, June 24 2018 8:35 PM EDT2018-06-25 00:35:46 GMT
    Photo: PexelsPhoto: Pexels

    GAINESVILLE, Ga. (AP) - In the wake of high-profile mass shootings, corporate America has been taking a stand against the firearms industry amid a lack of action by lawmakers on gun control. Payment processing firms are limiting transactions, Bank of America stopped providing financing to companies that make AR-style guns, and retailers like Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods imposed age restrictions on gun purchases. 

    GAINESVILLE, Ga. (AP) - In the wake of high-profile mass shootings, corporate America has been taking a stand against the firearms industry amid a lack of action by lawmakers on gun control. Payment processing firms are limiting transactions, Bank of America stopped providing financing to companies that make AR-style guns, and retailers like Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods imposed age restrictions on gun purchases. 

  • People angry over Sanders slam the wrong Red Hen

    People angry over Sanders slam the wrong Red Hen

    Sunday, June 24 2018 7:39 PM EDT2018-06-24 23:39:43 GMT
    Courtesy: The RED HEN - FacebookCourtesy: The RED HEN - Facebook

    SWEDESBORO, N.J. (AP) - People have been flooding a Red Hen restaurant with angry calls and negative reviews since White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was told to leave - but they've got the wrong Red Hen. Restaurant managing partner Elizabeth Pope tells The Philadelphia Inquirer the New Jersey eatery has received at least 600 phone calls from people mistaking it with another similarly named one in Virginia.  

    SWEDESBORO, N.J. (AP) - People have been flooding a Red Hen restaurant with angry calls and negative reviews since White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was told to leave - but they've got the wrong Red Hen. Restaurant managing partner Elizabeth Pope tells The Philadelphia Inquirer the New Jersey eatery has received at least 600 phone calls from people mistaking it with another similarly named one in Virginia.  

  • English bulldog Zsa Zsa wins Ugliest Dog contest

    English bulldog Zsa Zsa wins Ugliest Dog contest

    Sunday, June 24 2018 7:01 PM EDT2018-06-24 23:01:15 GMT
    Photo: World's Ugliest Dog ContestPhoto: World's Ugliest Dog Contest

    PETALUMA, Calif (AP) - A 9-year-old English bulldog was named the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area. Zsa Zsa won the title Saturday in the competition where dogs with hairless bodies and lolling tongues flaunt their imperfections. The dogs walk down a red carpet and are evaluated by a panel of judges. 

    PETALUMA, Calif (AP) - A 9-year-old English bulldog was named the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area. Zsa Zsa won the title Saturday in the competition where dogs with hairless bodies and lolling tongues flaunt their imperfections. The dogs walk down a red carpet and are evaluated by a panel of judges. 

Powered by Frankly
Copyright - All content © 2001 - 2018. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.