Helena Fire Department Explains Christmas Tree Safety - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

Helena Fire Department Explains Christmas Tree Safety

Posted: Updated:

The Helena Fire Department responds to more emergencies than normal around the holiday season, especially when dealing with Christmas trees. The fire department has a few tips on how to keep your home safe this holiday season.

When it comes to your Christmas tree, keep it in a large base and make sure it is always full of water to keep the tree from drying out. The tree is also to be placed far from heat sources like candles or fire places, or to even replace candles with electronic ones as candles are a leading cause of fires, especially when dealing with Christmas trees. The other leading cause of fires are tree lights.

"Inspect your lights, your Christmas tree lights. The old style lights with bulbs, the screw in bulbs, don't plug in more than three of those together and with the new LED What they recommend is looking at the manufacturer suggestions with the LED lights." says Lou Antonick from the Helena Fire Department.

A few other tips are, do not over load outlets, make sure smoke alarms are operational and to have one in every sleeping area. The other important Christmas tree tip of the season is as soon as your tree dries out take out of the house as soon as possible. On behalf of the Helena Fire Department, they would like to wish the community a safe and happy holiday this year.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Great Falls Animal Shelter Running Out of Space

    Great Falls Animal Shelter Running Out of Space

    The Great Falls Animal Shelter is running out of space to house animals.
    The Great Falls Animal Shelter is running out of space to house animals.
  • UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    Friday, August 29 2014 2:35 PM EDT2014-08-29 18:35:38 GMT
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire.
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire. The fire happened on August 24th, around 2:00pm in a restroom at the Boulder Beach Water park. The water park was evacuated while crews worked to put the flames out. 
  • High STD Rate in Cascade County

    High STD Rate in Cascade County

    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
Powered by WorldNow

Sports

  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.