Big Sky Conference Scores and Highlights, Saturday 1/11 - News, Sports and Weather

Big Sky Conference Scores and Highlights, Saturday 1/11

Posted: Updated:


In a game of major scoring runs Eastern Washington made the last, and the Eagles held off Montana State 77-72 in Cheney on Saturday.

The Bobcats overcame a 16-point deficit in the first half and lost a nine-point lead in the second, and in the end came up just short of notching a weekend road sweep. "It felt like an 80-minute game jammed into 40 with all the swings and the emotion," said MSU coach Brad Huse. "Unfortunately we didn't have enough points at the end, but I'm proud of our guys. They fought and they showed tremendous spirit to win."

Eastern Washington hit its first six three-pointers of the game, shooting 52% in the first half in building its lead. But MSU used a 12-3 run to close the first half, the last of those a three-pointer by Stehpan Holm in the final minute, to cut the lead to 43-36 at the intermission.

After a Martin Seiferth layup opened the second half for the Eagles, MSU methodically decimated the lead. Two free throws and a couple of jumpers from Mike Dison and a short jumper by Flavien Davis tied the game at 47-47 just three-and-a-half minutes into the second half. But the Bobcats run continued, and Antonio Biglow's layup with 12:53 to play gave MSU a 61-50 lead and capped a 37-10 run that sandwiched halftime.

Huse credited his team's defense. "We got up and guarded, we scrambled, trapped and pressed, we just did a great job asserting our will," he said.

But the Eagles answered. A pair of free throws by Parker Kelly with 12:43 remaining began an 8-0 Eastern run, and when Tyler Harvey hit a three-pointer with 4:47 to play the Eagles led 67-66. Calen Coleman's layup on the next possession gave the Bobcats a short-lived lead, but Venky Jois' layup put EWU on top to stay.

Embedded in Eastern Washington's second-half comeback was a tough night for MSU at the free throw line. The Bobcats finished 13-for-26 from the stripe, including just 7-for- 18 in the second half. The Bobcats endured a three-minute scoring drought after building the 11-point lead, and in that stretch the team missed four free throw attempts, one of which was a one-and-on.

"There's a great competitive spirit in our locker room, and I'm proud of that," Huse said. "We shot ourselves in the foot with free throws, but credit Eastern. They didn't panic. We had them on the ropes, but it's hard to sustain that kind of momentum on the road. To take that lead in the second half and not finish hurts, and the guys are hurting in that locker room."

Even through the shooting woes of the last 10 minutes, Montana State put itself in position to win in the last minute. Flavien Davis hit a short jumper with 45 seconds to play to tie the game at 72, but on the next possession Thomas Reuter answered for Eastern. Davis' shot on the next possession was blocked, and Eastern finished the game by hitting three of four free throws.

Davis scored 17 points to lead five Bobcats in double-digits. The senior forward also posted a season-high 10 rebounds and added three steals and two assists. Tyler Harvey's 19 points for Eastern Washington led all players. The Bobcats out-rebounded EWU 42-41 on the strength of grabbing 17 caroms off their own backboard. MSU forced 16 Eagle turnovers, while giving it away just eight times.



Junior guard Gary Winston made a 3-pointer with 2.4 seconds to go, as the Portland State Vikings defeated the visiting University of Montana Grizzlies 81-78 in triple overtime in a Big Sky Conference game Saturday evening in PSU's Stott Center.

The Griz are now 6-7 overall and 1-3 in the league, while PSU goes to 6-7/1-3.

"Our key guys just couldn't make shots when we needed one, and we should have had this one, but just made too many mistakes on offense and defense," said an obviously disappointed Griz head coach Wayne Tinkle on KGVO Radio's post-game interview. "Our veterans need to step up for us and we just needed to make more big plays. We still have so far to go."

The last time Montana played in a three overtime contest occurred twice in the 1993-94 season. The first was an 80-73 three win at Washington, while the second was a 97-91 setback at Weber State.

Montana took a 78-77 lead with 1:08 remaining in the third extra period on 14-foot jumper in the lane by junior guard Jordan Gregory. Winston then made one-of-two free throws to tie the game up for the 15th and final time at 78-78 with 54 seconds left to play in the third OT.

The Griz had a chance to take the lead in the third OT, but senior guard/forward Kareem Jamar missed a long-range 3-pointer, giving PSU got the last possession, which led to the game-winning trey by Winston, giving the Vikings their first league win of the young season.

Junior guard Keron DeShields tied the game up at 57-57 in regulation with 16.6 seconds left, and the Vikings did not get off a potential game-winning shot, and the Griz were forced to play in their first overtime contest of the 2013-14 season.

Gregory nailed a 3-pointer with 1:00 left in the first overtime, but junior center Brandon Cataldo knotted the game up 62-62 on an offensive rebound and a subsequent lay-up the closing seconds of the first extra period, and the first OT ended deadlocked at 62-all.

Each team scored 10 points in the second OT, and senior center Eric Hutchison tied the game up at 72-72 on a conventional three-point play with about 25 seconds left, and neither team scored after that to force a third and decisive extra period.

Gregory scored a game-high 25 points (and played 51 minutes), while Kareem Jamar added 19 points (and played a career-high 54 minutes), and DeShields scored 17.

Griz guard Mario Dunn, 6-0 true freshman, had game and career-highs of 9 rebounds 7 assists, and also chipped in 6 points, and logged 47 minutes.

DeShields, starting junior forward Mike Weisner, and Hutchison all fouled out for UM.

Winston and senior guard Marcus Hall led the Vikings with 21 points each, while junior guard Tim Douglas added 18 points.

Montana is home next week, hosting North Dakota on Thursday, Jan. 16, and first-place Northern Colorado on Saturday, Jan. 18.



Kellie Cole lit the fire, Torry Hill made sure it stayed blazing, and the result was a 94-58 victory for the Lady Griz over Portland State Saturday afternoon at Dahlberg Arena.

The win was Montana's fourth-straight game scoring more than 81 points and moved the Lady Griz (9-4) into a tie for second in the Big Sky Conference standings at 3-1.

Cole, who matched the Vikings in scoring through the first 10 minutes, opened the game hitting her first seven shots and had 18 by the break to spark the Lady Griz to a 48-30 halftime lead.

But she had a challenger for player-of-the-game honors, because Hill was maybe a tighter game away from posting her first career triple-double.

The point guard totaled eight assists and seven steals and added 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting from 3-point range, but with the game decided early, Hill only played nine second-half minutes and 25 for the game.

All 13 players on Montana's active roster saw at least seven minutes of action.

"It was obviously another good game for us," UM coach Robin Selvig said. "We played great from the start. We passed it. We shot it. We just played really well. I felt we were in control most of the way.

"Torry was great today. She found people who were making shots, she made shots of her own, and she was really into it defensively. And Kellie obviously had a hot hand. A really hot hand. I could probably say something positive about everybody, because it was one of those games."

Portland State (4-10, 2-3 BSC) entered the game with a pair of Big Sky wins, including a road victory at Eastern Washington, but the Vikings lost 6-foot-1 forward Angela Misa for at least Saturday's game when she suffered a knee injury late in PSU's loss at Montana State Thursday night.

Misa was averaging 10.9 points on 47 percent shooting and a team-high 9.0 rebound per game, and without her interior presence, the Vikings were outrebounded by 13 and limited to 37.3 percent shooting.

"We played well, but the other thing that was a factor was them losing Misa Thursday night," said Selvig. "You can maybe make up for that somewhat, but that would have been easier to do if we hadn't gotten off to such a good start."

It wasn't just Cole that got the Lady Griz out to a big first-half lead. Montana's other four starters shot nearly 50 percent, and Alycia Sims came off the bench to hit 4 of 7 shots and score nine first-half points.

With Montana playing so well and Portland State shorthanded, a second-half comeback was unlikely. The Lady Griz made sure of it by opening the second half on a 17-3 run to go up by 32, 65-33, when McCalle Feller drained a 3-pointer six minutes in.

The Lady Griz had the Vikings doubled up at 82-41 with nearly nine minutes still remaining, and that allowed Selvig to go deep into his bench. The reserves maintained the lead and the team's high shooting percentage.

After shooting 50 percent in the first half, Montana improved to 54.5 in the second half to finish at 52.1 percent for the game.

The same team that shot 37.4 percent through nine nonconference games is shooting 52.1 percent in four Big Sky contests and averaging 85.8 points.

"Hopefully we can keep shooting the ball like we are," said Selvig, whose team will face the Big Sky Conference's last unbeaten when the Lady Griz play at North Dakota Thursday night.

Cole finished with 23 points, two off her career high, and was one of four players to finish in double figures.

Jordan Sullivan continued her fantastic recent play with 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting. She added a game-high nine rebounds and matched a career high with five assists.

Hill had 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting, Sims totaled 11 on 5-of-10 shooting, and Carly Selvig, who was denied the opportunity to go up against Misa in what would have been a fun head-to-head matchup, added three blocks.

Montana allowed Portland State to grab just five offensive rebounds and forced the Vikings, who were led by Emily Easom's 21 points, into 18 turnovers.

The Lady Griz had just three turnovers in the first half and committed only 11 for the game, two days after committing just a dozen turnovers in an 81-64 victory over Eastern Washington on Thursday.

The win sets up a key early-season matchup for Thursday when Montana plays at unbeaten North Dakota (10-4, 5-0 BSC). The Lady Griz will enter that game tied for second after Sacramento State lost at home Saturday afternoon to Southern Utah, 97-79.

North Dakota finished off a road-trip sweep with an 83-72 victory at Weber State Saturday. In other league games, Montana State won at home over Eastern Washington, 78-74, and Northern Colorado won at Idaho State, 62-55.





Montana State senior Ashley Brumwell sparked a second-half rally as the Bobcats overcame a 10-point deficit to post a 78-74 victory over Eastern Washington, Saturday afternoon in Worthington Arena.

Brumwell, who recorded a career-high 26 points, took over the game with eight-minutes remaining and the Bobcats trailing 63-53. The Hamilton native notched seven points over a three-minutes stretch, including back-to-back baskets to even the contest at 65-all with three-minutes, 29-seconds left.

An Ausha Cole three-pointer from the top of the arc capped a 15-2 run and gave Montana State (8-5, 3-1) its first lead since early in the second stanza at the 2:58 mark. Eastern Washington (6-8, 2-3) received a triple from Hayley Hodgins with two-minutes, six-seconds remaining to knot the game at 70-all.

With just under a minute remaining, an Eastern Washington defender poked the ball away from Cole, but the ball found its way into the hands of Jackie Elliott, who converted an easy layin.

Following a EWU timeout, the Eagles had three shots at the basket but couldn't convert. MSU's Jasmine Hommes corralled the rebound, handed it to Elliott, who found a breaking Brumwell for the layup with ten-seconds remaining.

EWU's Lexi Nelson connected on a pair of free throws to pull Eastern Washington to within 76-74 with six-seconds remaining. On the in-bounds, Elliott recorded a career-high eighth assist finding Alexa Dawkins all alone under the Eagle basket to secure the MSU victory.

"It felt like a championship-type game," said MSU head coach Tricia Binford. "Both teams hit some big shots and it was a great atmosphere. Fortunately, we were able to grit one out. I'm proud of our kids; they have done a great job responding when we've been behind."

Brumwell finished the game scoring 13 points in each half, connecting on 11-of-18 from the field overall. In addition, she led all players with ten rebounds.

Also in double-figures for the Bobcats were Cole 12, Kalli Durham 11 and Dawkins 10. Dawkins, a sophomore from Bozeman, pulled down seven rebounds and added a career-high four blocks. Durham also finished with seven boards.

EWU was led in the loss by Hodgins with 18 points and eight rebounds.

Montana State will play at Northern Colorado on Thursday night.

Powered by WorldNow


  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.