The Families Affected by the Recent Avalanche Speak Out - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

The Families Affected by the Recent Avalanche Speak Out

Posted: Updated:
MISSOULA -

Casey Greene says on Friday afternoon, his fiance, Erin Scoles, saw a nightmare play out before her own eyes.

His fiance watched as the avalanche came sweeping down Mount Jumbo engulfing her two children, who were playing in the yard. Greene, an experienced back country skier, estimates the slide was traveling between 60 and 120 miles per hour when it struck Scoles' 10-year-old daughter, Coral, and 8-year-old son, Phoenix.

Coral was able to get herself out of the snow quickly, but Phoenix was trapped. Greene says miraculously, Phoenix and the other two survivors were trapped inside air pockets. These allowed them to breathe, while search and rescue crews and neighbors with avalanche shovels and probes worked furiously to dig them out.

Forty-five minutes later, crews pulled Phoenix out, and then, Fred Allendorf and his Wife, Michel Colville surfaced.

The community support continues days later. People have already donated more than $18,000 to an account for the Scoles family, surpassing their goal of $15,000. Greene says they'll use the funds for hospital bills and a new rental, after their home was significantly damaged in the slide.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    UPDATE: Fire at Silverwood caused by cigarette

    Friday, August 29 2014 2:35 PM EDT2014-08-29 18:35:38 GMT
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire.
    ATHOL, Idaho - After a thorough investigation into the fire that closed a portion of Silverwood Theme Park last weekend, investigators with the Timberlake Fire Protection District say it was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette that started the fire. The fire happened on August 24th, around 2:00pm in a restroom at the Boulder Beach Water park. The water park was evacuated while crews worked to put the flames out. 
  • CMR Volleyball Excited for New Coach

    CMR Volleyball Excited for New Coach

    Former Lady Griz Theresa Besich takes over the helm at CMR.
    Former Lady Griz Theresa Besich takes over the helm at CMR.
  • High STD Rate in Cascade County

    High STD Rate in Cascade County

    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
    Cascade County has the third highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in the state and officials say that many of the STD's are originating from one specific area.
Powered by WorldNow

Sports

  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.