CRAZY VIDEO: Two Men Drive Through Flames Of San Diego Fire - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

CRAZY VIDEO: Two Men Drive Through Flames Of San Diego Fire

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE (May 16, 2014): CARLSBAD, California - Jeb Durgin or Carlsbad, California uploaded a video shot by his coworker, Byron Bauman that looks like something out of a movie as they literally drive through the flames of the San Diego fire.

"I drove through the flames," Durgin told Yahoo News. "If there were police officers, if there were fire trucks, there's no way in hell they would have let us drive through that, but there was nobody stopping us."

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):
SAN DIEGO (AP) - The San Diego County sheriff says arson will be among the many possibilities investigators will look at in trying to determine what caused nine fires to break out during a two-day heat wave.
   
Sheriff Bill Gore said Thursday that it could take months to find the causes of the blazes concentrated in the northwestern area of the county, from the coast to areas 10 to 15 miles inland.
   
The first fire started Tuesday. The eight other wildfires erupted over the course of hours Wednesday.
   
Gore says investigators are not ruling anything out, but he also wouldn't prejudge the investigations.
   
He noted that sparks from vehicles can easily ignite brush in such hot, dry and windy conditions.
   
The fires have caused more than $22 million in damage so far.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) - California Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for San Diego County, where at least half a dozen wildfires have forced thousands to flee burning homes.
   
Firefighters have been contending with temperatures approaching 100 degrees and gusty winds as they try to contain flames fueled by brush and trees left brittle by drought.
   
No major injuries have been reported, but two firefighters have suffered minor injuries - one heat-related and one from smoke inhalation.
   
The worst of the fires is in the coastal city of Carlsbad, about 30 miles north of San Diego. The city's schools have been closed, and officials don't expect them to reopen until next week.
   
Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall says the blaze consumed an eight-unit condominium complex and has damaged eight homes and two businesses.
   
Crews have made progress in stopping the fire's spread. They estimate it was 10 percent contained Wednesday evening.
   
Meanwhile, a blaze that broke out Tuesday and forced the evacuation of 20,000 homes in the Rancho Bernardo area is now 50 percent contained.

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):
SAN MARCOS, Calif. (AP) - Officials say hundreds of new evacuation orders have been issued for the Southern California city of San Marcos where a wildfire continues burning out of control.San Diego County officials said Thursday that the blaze had chewed through 700 acres and hundreds of notices were sent out to residents.

The fire is one of nine fires that broke out in San Diego on Wednesday amid a heat wave and gusty winds.

Officials say one of the most-damaging blazes so far in neighboring Carlsbad was 60 percent contained and evacuation orders were being lifted there.

Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall says the fire burned 400 acres and destroyed a 18-unit condominium complex and four single-family homes.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY (May 14, 2014):

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A brush fire has forced evacuation of thousands of people in the Southern California city of Carlsbad and two homes are burning.
    
City officials said mandatory evacuations were in progress Wednesday, and more than 11,000 notices were sent to homes and businesses.
    
Two homes could be seen burning in TV broadcasts from Carlsbad. State fire Capt. Mike Moehler tells KCAL-TV structures are actively burning but he doesn't know how many.
    
The Legoland California amusement park has been shut down due to a power outage.
    
The blaze was one of several that firefighters in San Diego County were battling amid hot, dry, windy conditions.
    
The fire on the outskirts of San Diego had threatened thousands of homes Tuesday and was 25 percent contained.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Woman attacked in parking lot of Kootenai County Fairgrounds

    Woman attacked in parking lot of Kootenai County Fairgrounds

    Friday, August 22 2014 2:23 PM EDT2014-08-22 18:23:37 GMT
    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office is investigating an attempted rape that occurred Thursday night in the parking lot of the Kootenai County Fairgrounds. 
    KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office is investigating an attempted rape that occurred Thursday night in the parking lot of the Kootenai County Fairgrounds. Deputies say the 26-year-old woman told them she had just finished working at the fair at around 8:00pm and was walking to her car when two men attacked her from behind and took her to the ground. 
  • WATCH IT: A farmer. A trombone. An empty field. What happens next?

    WATCH IT: A farmer. A trombone. An empty field. What happens next?

    Friday, August 22 2014 1:42 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:42:29 GMT
    KHQ.COM - The video begins simply enough. A man who calls himself Farmer Derek Klingenberg walks into the frame with a trombone, looks at the camera, gives a "shhhhh" sign, and then sits down in a lawn chair and begins to play a cover version of Lorde's "Royals." 
    KHQ.COM - The video begins simply enough. A man who calls himself Farmer Derek Klingenberg walks into the frame with a trombone, looks at the camera, gives a "shhhhh" sign, and then sits down in a lawn chair and begins to play a cover version of Lorde's "Royals." What happens next? An audience quickly forms. Check it out.
  • DUI suspect gets car stuck on train tracks, breaks ankle trying to get away

    DUI suspect gets car stuck on train tracks, breaks ankle trying to get away

    Friday, August 22 2014 1:29 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:29:45 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 24-year-old man was arrested for DUI early Friday morning after police say he abandoned his car on train tracks in downtown Spokane shortly before it was hit by a train, and then broke his ankle fleeing the scene. 
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A 24-year-old man was arrested for DUI early Friday morning after police say he abandoned his car on train tracks in downtown Spokane shortly before it was hit by a train, and then broke his ankle fleeing the scene. Just before 3:00am, Spokane Police were told a train hit a car near the intersection of S. Browne St. and W. Pacific Ave. 
Powered by WorldNow

Sports

  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.