Victim recounts Southern California shark attack - KFBB.com News, Sports and Weather

Victim recounts Southern California shark attack

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (AP) - A man who was attacked by a great white shark off a Southern California beach is describing how quickly a routine swim turned into a bloody nightmare.

Steven Robles was in the water off Manhattan Beach near Los Angeles when the 7-foot-long juvenile shark suddenly appeared Saturday morning.

He tells KABC-TV that the shark looked at him and "locked into my chest."

Robles was taken to shore and by Sunday morning had been released from the hospital.

Witnesses said the shark had been hooked by a fisherman on a nearby pier and was thrashing in the water for more than 30 minutes before biting Robles about 300 yards off shore.

The beach, crowded over the holiday weekend, was eventually reopened.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a 7-foot-long great white shark bit a man swimming off of Southern California's Manhattan Beach.

Rick Flores, a Los Angeles County Fire spokesman, said Saturday that the victim was bitten on the upper right side about 9:30 a.m., suffering puncture wounds described as moderate. The victim was taken to a hospital conscious and breathing on his own.

Flores says a person fishing off the Manhattan Beach Pier hooked the shark and spent over 30 minutes trying to reel it in, which made the shark agitated.

The victim was in a group of long-distance swimmers about 300 yards off the beach, where Flores says the shark bit the man.

The fisherman cut the line and a surfer put the injured swimmer on his board, taking him ashore.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • PENTAGON CONFIRMS: Foley rescue attempt failed earlier this summer

    PENTAGON CONFIRMS: Foley rescue attempt failed earlier this summer

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 11:16 PM EDT2014-08-21 03:16:50 GMT
    WASHINGTON, D.C.- Wednesday afternoon the Pentagon released information about a rescue operation to free James Foley and other U.S. hostages held in Syria by Islamist militants. Several dozen troops flew in by helicopter, but couldn't find the hostages. One of those hostages was James Foley.
    WASHINGTON, D.C.- Wednesday afternoon the Pentagon released information about a rescue operation to free James Foley and other U.S. hostages held in Syria by Islamist militants. Several dozen troops flew in by helicopter, but couldn't find the hostages. One of those hostages was James Foley.
  • Spokane Police work to implement body cameras

    Spokane Police work to implement body cameras

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:23 PM EDT2014-08-21 02:23:21 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Police Department plans to equip 15 to 20 officers with body cameras starting the first week of September. Police Chief Frank Straub says his team still has a lot of details to work out, but that this is something that has been on their radar for quite some time.
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Police Department plans to equip 15 to 20 officers with body cameras starting the first week of September. Police Chief Frank Straub says his team still has a lot of details to work out, but that this is something that has been on their radar for quite some time.
  • Father of Rebecca West speaks about potential release of Michael Tarbert: 'It's been a living hell'

    Father of Rebecca West speaks about potential release of Michael Tarbert: 'It's been a living hell'

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:32:40 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Michael West cannot believe that the man suspected of killing his daughter Rebecca may once again walk the streets of Spokane.“It's very unacceptable to me,” West told KHQ. 
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Michael West cannot believe that the man suspected of killing his daughter Rebecca may once again walk the streets of Spokane.“It's very unacceptable to me,” West told KHQ. “A 55-year-old man is able to go home to his family, and my daughter can't come home to her mother. I'm very surprised.” West says his daughter's death destroyed his family. 
Powered by WorldNow

Sports

  • Sports
  • Community

  • Community
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Max Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.